Trey and Lea Morgan have been married for over 30 years and have raised four boys. They have been involved in marriage ministry and marriage coaching for over 20 years. They also lead Stronger Marriage and Family Workshops and speak to thousands of people each year about how to build Godly, healthy marriages and families. On their social media page, they recently posted this:
There are probably hundreds of dumb things to do in your marriage, but here are 31 that will destroy your marriage…
- Believe that your marriage will be great without having to invest time or effort into it.
- NEVER compliment your spouse.
- Stop pursuing your spouse like you did before marriage.
- Be critical all the time.
- Demand that your spouse meets your needs.
- Pout when you don’t get your way.
- Consider sex a chore and only do it because you feel obligated.
- Use the silent treatment when you are mad.
- Get angry … often.
- Flirt with people other than your spouse.
- Tell your spouse they need to make changes, but you make no effort to change.
- Never be willing to meet your spouse’s needs.
- Make no effort to improve yourself or your marriage.
- Speak negatively about your spouse around other people.
- Make no effort to keep yourself “looking good” for your spouse.
- Use derogatory words like stupid, dumb, ignorant and idiot.
- Always blame your spouse for the problems. It’s never your fault.
- Take your mate for granted.
- Quit trying to impress your spouse (you’re married, it’s not needed anymore).
- Withhold sex.
- Never take any time to get away without the kids.
- Don’t tell your spouse how much you love or appreciate them. Just expect them to know it.
- Be dishonest.
- When arguing … bring up old stuff from the past.
- Have a short fuse.
- Feel that God is an option in your marriage, not an essential.
- When angry be verbally abusive.
- Never seek outside help when you have problems.
- Have an “it’s my way or the highway” attitude.
- Spend more time with your friends than your spouse.
- Never say, “I love you.”
Don’t do these things.